Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Pickling

I've been pickling a lot these days and finally took some pictures.  They go pretty fast and I have to keep buying those gigantic bottles of vinegar.  As usual, I just eyeball the amount of ingredients and taste it as I go.  How much I need to make the vinegar base totally depends on how many vegetables I want to pickle.  This time I used 6 cups of vinegar (I mixed apple cider vinegar with rice wine vinegar for milder flavor), 1 1/4 cups of sugar, some salt (I don't know exactly, but probably a few tablespoons), mixed colored freshly grounded pepper, 10 or so bay leaves, 10 or so red chillies.  These are based on my mom's old book.  The book calls for some cloves, but I didn't have it so I dropped it.  Heat all the ingredients gently and pour it over the vegetables in the jar when it's hot.  Be aware that the house will smell funny and sampling the heated vinegar base is hard to do.  It makes you cough alot :-)
Besides those veggies in the photos, radishes are also tasty to pickle. I will try some ginger next time. 
Happy Fall!

1 comment:

  1. I just love your blog and your beauuuuutiful fabrics. I live in Switzerland, like to sew and be creative with whatever comes into my hands.I have never seen such beautiful materials in our shops. I wish I was living in SF. (No, not really, I like living in Switzerland)

    ReplyDelete